KP’83 Event Schedule for 9/21-23 weekend (updated 9/13)
Reunion Committee Messages – latest info
Dinner Attendee List – classmates you’ll see
Mouse over to pause slideshow
2013 Homecoming photos by Ray, George, M/N
Updates will be emailed and posted on Facebook, so be sure to check in periodically, and plan to join us!
- Class Dinner / Tailgating Reservations
- Book Hotel Room (may be full) Book Flights
- Become a Sponsor
- Donate towards Class Gift
KP83 Event Schedule
’83 class events highlighted. Official events copied from Alumni Foundation website:
2018 HOMECOMING SCHEDULE
- Please register for Homecoming 2018 Academy events here.
- Events with fee require payment and registration prior to arrival on campus.
- The 75th Anniversary Dinner requires a separate registration. (Click here)
- Note that the Athletic Awards Dinner has been moved to November 9. (Click here)
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2018
- 1730: Alumni Awards Dinner (Melville Hall) – $75/pp – RSVP here
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2018
- 0730-1530: Seafarer Restaurant Open
- 0730-1700: Navy Exchange Store Open
- 1100: Reunion Class Registration (Barney Square Tent)
- 1100-1200: Tours of the Academy (Barney Square)
- 1200: Lunch with the Regiment (Delano Hall) – $10pp – RSVP here
- 1300: Tour of Lower Roosevelt Field Project
- 1300-1400: 75th Anniversary Historic Presentation (Ackerman)
- 1400-1500: Celebrating the First Female Graduates from the Class of 1978 (Ackerman)
- 1630: Beat Retreat (O’Hara Hall)*
- 1800-2100: 75th Anniversary Dinner (Delano Hall) – $75/pp – RSVP here
- 1815: Candlelight Vigil Honoring the “142” by the Class of 2022 (Delano Hall)
- 2000-2300: Icebreaker Reception at Broadway 247 located at 247 S. Broadway, Hicksville (near Marriott) – private bar for KP83 includes DJ, light appetizers + first drink on us! – see map
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2018
- 0730-1400: Seafarer Restaurant Open
- 0730: 5K Run (Tomb Field 0700-0715) – $10/pp – RSVP here
- 0745: Bus Transport #1 from Marriott to Academy
- 0800: Colors on Powell Oval
- 0800-0930: Barracks Open to the Public
- 0800-1700: Navy Exchange Store Open
- 0900: Formal Parade
- 0930: Bus Transport #2 from Marriott to Academy
- 0800 – 1000: Class Registration at McNulty Campus, light continental breakfast items available – see map
- 1000-1700: Lunch & Tailgate at McNulty Campus – see map
Beer arrives approx 1030, lunch starts approx 1100
- 1015: Memorial Arbors Ceremony (North Arbors)
- 1030-1200: Brunch (Tent on Barney Square) – $25/pp – RSVP here
- 1200: Anniversary Reunion Classes Muster for “March-On”
- 1230: Pre-Game “March On” by Anniversary Reunion Classes (Tomb Field)
- 1300: Football Game – Maine Maritime vs. Kings Point (Tomb Field)
- 1615: Bus Transport #1 from Academy (Vickery Gate) to Marriott
- 1700: Bus Transport #2 from Academy (Vickery Gate) to Marriott
- 1900-2300 Reunion Class Dinner – at Marriott – includes 4 hours Top Shelf open bar!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
- 0900: Protestant Worship (Mariners Chapel)
- 1015: Roman Catholic Mass (Mariners Chapel)
- TBD: Class Farewell Brunch at Marriott – this is informal and not covered by reunion fees
- 1000-1230: Farewell Brunch (Delano Hall) – $16pp – RSVP here
Reunion Committee Messages
From Chris, Brian, Lisa, Ray:
Homecoming is just around the corner and the planning committee is working to finalize arrangements for the weekend. Your response to our 35th has been fantastic! So much so, that we’ve blown past all projections.
Friday night Our group is now larger than Marriott’s ability to host our Friday evening event. We’ve just locked in a new venue (named Broadway 247), located at 247 S. Broadway, Hicksville. Good news is that the venue is closed to the public from 2000-2300 – so its a private party for KP83! Lite bar-fare will be available; think wings, pigs in a blanket, etc. Your first drink is on us, then cash bar afterwards. We’ll have a DJ, so please send us your requests in advance – forward to Lisa at
Not so good news is the need to travel from the Marriott. Let’s work together to make this easy and safe:
- carpool arrangements
- designated drivers
Please contact me re: your ability/preference for these options and we’ll get things organized.
Hotel note: we’ve heard that some are just now making hotel arrangements, with many places not having vacancies. Please contact us if you need some assistance and we’ll see what we can do to accommodate you via Marriott.
We’ve enjoyed working together to make it a great weekend and can’t wait to see you all!
From Chris, Brian, Lisa, Ray:
We are now 45 days from Homecoming!! The committee has worked hard to put together a special weekend for all of us.
First, the committee would like to take a moment to thank all of our classmates that have donated as sponsors to assist in keeping the cost of the weekend economical for all of us. Our class does homecoming right!!
Below is a schedule of specific class events. Please see https://www.kp83.org/35th-reunion-announcements-homecoming-2018/ for a complete listing of events, including those at the academy.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2018
• 2030-2330: Icebreaker Reception – at Marriott – includes light appetizers + 2 drink tickets!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2018
• 0800: Bus Transport from Marriott to Academy
• 0800 – 1000: Class Registration at McNulty Campus, light continental breakfast items available
• 0930: Bus Transport from Marriott to Academy
• 1000-1700: Lunch & Tailgate at McNulty Campus
• 1200: Anniversary Reunion Classes Muster for “March-On”
• 1230: Pre-Game “March On” by Class (Tomb Field)
• 1300: Football Game – Maine Maritime vs. Kings Point (Tomb Field)
• 1630: Bus Transport from Academy to Marriott
• 1900-2300 Reunion Class Dinner – at Marriott – includes 4 hours Top Shelf open bar!
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
• TBD: Class Farewell Brunch at Marriott – this is informal and not covered by reunion fees
The committee has broken the cost to attend class functions into two catagories.
The first, and complete package, is Tailgate and Class Dinner Package. This package includes the Friday night reception, coffee/bagels Saturday morning, tailgating lunch, beverages, memorabilia and Saturday’s dinner at the Marriott, including Top Shelf open bar! This package is $125 per attendee. Guests of each classmate will receive the same memorabilia.
The second package is for those that are only available for the Saturday morning/afternoon at the academy. The Tailgate Only Package includes coffee/bagels Saturday morning, tailgating lunch, beverages and memorabilia. This package is $75 per attendee. Again, guests of each classmate will receive the same memorabilia.
For class events, you may pay online with a credit card or RegistrationForm18 found at https://www.kp83.org/35th-registration-for-homecoming-events/ and send check made out to “USMMA Class of 1983 Reunion” to:
Brian Foy – ’83 Class Treasurer
541 Sweet Mango Trail
St. Augustine, FL 32086
Whether you are paying by credit card or filling out the form and sending to Brian Foy, there are four questions that are very important for planning purposes that you answer. It is also necessary that we have this information by August 20th.
The entire committee looks forward to seeing all of you in September!!
June 20, 2018
From Brian & Al:
Dear KP ’83 Classmates:
It is hard to believe that our 35th Reunion is three months away. In fact, in writing this letter, it is exactly 35 years ago TODAY [6/20] we threw our hats (not covers) in the air, hugged our families and friends, and eventually headed toward Vickery Gate. Little did we know then that 35 years later we would look back so fondly on our four years at KP and the lifelong friends we made. THIS is why we make the pilgrimage every five years!
As you know from previous communications from our Reunion Chair, Chris Cioni, Homecoming is the weekend of September 21-23, 2018. If you have not already booked your hotel room, please go to www.kp83.org and do so asap. Our HQ Hotel is the Long Island Marriott. Our class website designed and maintained by the one and only “Webmaster Ray” Christensen, is “Reunion Central” and all updated information regarding the reunion activities will be posted here. Please check frequently for updates.
The Reunion Team is busy planning each of the activities (receptions, tailgate, gifts, dinner, etc.) and we want to be sure all attendees have an enjoyable and memorable weekend. To assist us in providing the lowest possible price per attendee, please consider being a Class Sponsor. Sponsorship opportunities and levels are provided on the web site. If you have any questions, please call either one of us. All sponsors will be properly recognized on the website and at our reunion activities. All gift amounts greatly appreciated!
We ask that you please make your sponsorship decision no later than July 15 so that we can finalize pricing for the Reunion and have registration materials sent to you by August 1st.
Thank you in advance for your generosity and we hope to see ALL of you in September!
Brian Foy & Al Reeves
Reunion Planning Team
May 8, 2018
To: USMMA Class of 1983
From: Class of 1983 Reunion Committee
Re: 1000112 aka the binary representation of Bromine’s atomic number, the minimum age for presidential candidates, and a big anniversary.
When: September 21-23, 2018
Greetings from your Class Reunion Committee! We are excited to reconvene and plan for our next reunion, which as noted above is #35. We are truly looking forward to catching up with you all and expect a great turnout this year. Aside from being a class milestone, this year is also USMMA’s 75th anniversary.
First and foremost, please start your planning by visiting our class site at www.kp83.org courtesy of Ray Christensen. There you will find a reservation link to our reunion hotel and current information about the weekend activities.
Our gatherings at Homecoming have always been fun celebrations of our shared experiences, which remain amazingly vivid. We also have so much to share about the diverse journeys we’ve taken since 1983. The special nature of our bonds and friendships is enduring and each of us is integral to the uniqueness of the Class of 83. We sincerely encourage you to join us this year, because our community simply isn’t complete without you.
The Reunion Committee will be working hard to make the whole weekend both enjoyable and cost-efficient. Once we have a final cost for all events and memorabilia, we will post it to www.kp83.org and notify you via email – so please forward your contact info to Ray Christensen if you haven’t done so recently. Our site will also include a PayPal link to make it convenient for you to sign up and pay for those events as well.
While we continue to finalize certain plans for the weekend, we do have some specifics to share as you make plans to join us.
- Hotel: Our Reunion hotel will be the Long Island Marriott in Uniondale, NY. The hotel has undergone a major renovation since our last stay and we have booked their open atrium banquet room for our diner. We have blocked 50 rooms for the evenings of 21-23 September at a rate of $159 per night. The reservation link is posted on our Class Reunion Web Site (click on Hotel Info.). WE SUGGEST YOU JUMP ON YOUR BOOKING! If we need to increase the block – we need to know very soon.
- Land Hall & Pub is our designated location for Class activities. We will have classmates on site on Friday, so you’ll have a place to relax if you’re on campus during the day. We are discussing a possible informal reception in the afternoon – more to follow.
- Icebreaker Reception on Friday evening, back at the Marriott. Again, more detail to follow.
- Group Transportation is being planned for Saturday. Our thought is to arrange bus transport from Marriott to KP sometime in the morning. Return transport from KP back to Marriott later that afternoon, so that you can enjoy the day and not worry about driving afterwards.
- Saturday Lunch & Tailgate will take place back at Land Hall until noon. The March-On begins at 12:30 on Tomb Field. Planning is underway for catering arrangements.
- Football vs. Maine Maritime begins at 1300. No tickets are required and everyone is welcome. We ‘ll find an area in the stands to huddle and carry on the chatter. After the game, folks may want to tour the campus and shop at the Navy Exchange store, so we will coordinate the bus transport to make that work.
- Reunion Class Dinner will be held back at the Marriott. Current thinking is to set the time at 1900 – 2300. While we have much to still plan in this regard, you can expect cocktails and a buffet dinner. Ideas are percolating about some form of entertainment by our talented classmates – so please contact us with your thoughts and recommendations!
- Sunday brunch hasn’t typically been an organized event, though there has been some discussion about planning something in advance this year. Please let us know whether you would like that to become part of the formal plan.
- Sponsorship has been important in offsetting our expenses so that the cost of attending is as low as possible. Corporate and Individual Sponsorships will be targeted towards specific activities and expenses, so we hope that some of you will be able to support us in that endeavor. Please contact any of us on the Committee if you have suggestions.
Lastly, please give some thought to classmate nominations for Alumni awards for which they may be eligible. Visit the USMMA Alumni Association & Foundation website awards page for more information on the various awards. Nominations for awards must be received by the AAF no later than June 1, 2018!
Should you have any questions concerning anything about the reunion weekend, please feel free to call or e-mail me or any member of the Committee. We look forward to seeing all of you in September!
Brian Foy – Finances
Ray Christensen – Communications and Marketing
Lisa Fields – Catering and Hospitality
Al Reeves – Sponsorships
Mickey Cunningham – Classmate Outreach
Jim Quern – Classmate Outreach
See all contact info here
Dinner Attendee List
These classmates expect to attend Saturday KP’83 dinner at Marriott (contact Ray with corrections):
Thomas Bodman +1
Kevin Brofford +1
Arthur Burns +1
John Carbone +1
John Cataldi +1
Richard Colonna +1
Catherine Coseno (Giguere) +1
Michael Cunningham +1
Christopher D’Angelo +1
Kevin Fauvell +1
Lisa Fields (Barcus) +1
Dennis Forsgren +1
Brian Foy +1
Stephen Galati +1
Bruce Garrott +1
Tony Hartman +1
Ted Hercamp +1
Randy Johnson +1 (no dinner)
Michael Keane +1
Roderick Knecht +1
Paul Knudson +1
Alton Kunkle +1
Robert Lento +1
Francis Liantonio +1
Michael Logan +1
Reno Mastrocola +1
Craig Matteson +1
Jeannette Melin (Craddock) +1
Arthur Murphy +1
Jacqueline Nielsen (Hodgson) +1
James Quern +1
Carmella Rohde (Rispoli)
Bob Ross +1
Mark Smith +1
James Storey +1
Mark Suter +1
Tom Teefey +1
Douglas Waldman +1
Richard Wood +1